Today is Thanksgiving, and while it’s not a holiday we celebrate here in the UK, I really love the idea behind it. Sure, the origins of the holiday are pretty questionable, but I think it’s so great that every year, Americans get to gather round with their loved ones and talk about all the things they’re thankful for. I’m a big believer in adopting an attitude of gratitude, so it’s something that has always resonated with me. And so, even though I’m not from the States and we don’t get to spend the day over-eating turkey like our American pals, I thought I’d join in with a little gratitude of my own. Any excuse to stop and count those lucky stars is a-okay with me, so I’ve put together a little list of everything I’m feeling thankful for right now...
1) My husband, as cheesy at that may be. The world gets my happiest, smiliest, most positive self, but behind closed doors it’s Sam who deals with the wobbly, insecure, and often weepy Sophie. He never fails to put a smile on my face, and he’s pretty great at making sure we always have wine and snacks in too, which makes him dream husband material in my eyes.
2) My family. We’re a big, loud, chaotic bunch, and I wouldn’t trade them for the whole world. I genuinely feel so lucky to be part of such a close knit family, and nobody can make me laugh like they all do. Spending time with them is one of my very favourite things to do, and I know how special and unique that is.
3) Our gorgeous home. It isn’t huge and there is still so much that needs doing, but our little home brings me so much joy. Whenever the taxi pulls up outside our front door after my weekly trip to London, I feel so, so grateful to have this space of our own, and I cherish all of the memories we’re making there.
4) Our little cat, Lola. I totally underestimated what a positive effect having a pet would have on my life. We laugh at Lola’s funny little poses and noises every single day, and starting each day with a family cuddle in bed makes me feel so lucky.
5) My friends, both old and new. All of them inspire me on the regular, make me laugh until my stomach hurts and love to reminisce on our younger years just as often as I do. There’s nothing quite as special as having kickass women cheering you on and believing in you always.
6) Being able to travel so much. There’s no denying that travel is a luxury, and I feel super grateful to be able to head off and explore as regularly as I do. There really is no greater feeling than discovering a place for the first time, or pretending to live like the locals in a gorgeous city, and I never take those adventures for granted.
7) Getting to work with a brilliant team of women. It’s been just over a year now since I handed in my notice at my old corporate job and took the leap into the unknown territory of tech start ups, and I couldn’t be happier that I made that decision. I get to work with and lead the most awesome team of women, and I’m so proud of what we’ve achieved together this year.
8) My side projects. I absolutely love working on this blog and This North Works - they teach me new skills, have introduced me to loads of ace people I wouldn’t have met otherwise, and generally allow me to flex my creative muscles. I’m working on some exciting things at the moment that will hopefully allow me to spend more time working on these side projects in 2019, so watch this space!
9) Slowing down a little bit. 2018 has definitely been the year of slowing down for me, and I’m grateful that I’ve finally realised the importance of taking my foot off the gas every now and then. I feel healthier, both mentally and physically, and I feel like I have more clarity about what I want out of life.
10) Feeling secure and content. I think the thing I’m feeling most grateful for this year is how happy and content I’m feeling right now. I feel more secure in my ambitions and abilities than ever before, and while I know this feeling won’t last forever, I'm very grateful for this current sense of contentment.
What are you feeling thankful for right now?